With the majority of us working from home, it’s easy to slip into the habit of just have a slice of toast or some instant noodles for lunch but you deserve better than that. Take the time you have and the opportunity to get in the kitchen, and treat yourself to a top-quality lunch to fuel you through the afternoon. Super quick but full of flavour, these are the perfect work from home lunch recipes to whip up during your break.
#1 Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mak Kimchi
If you’re in need of a super quick work from home lunch recipe, you can skip the kimchi and stick to the comforting grilled cheese. But once you’ve made a batch of kimchi, you’ll be sorted for weeks.
What you’ll need
For the Kimchi:
- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 6 – 8 radishes, dependent on size
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chilli sauce like sriracha
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 heaped tablespoon caster sugar
For the Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- 4 slices of crusty white bread
- Butter, for spreading
- 100g strong mature Cheddar, grated
- 100g red Leicester, grated
- To make the Mak Kimchi, roughly chop the cabbage into large chunks and place in a microwaveable bowl. Add 4 tablespoons water to the bowl and place in the microwave to steam for 2 – 4 minutes. You want the cabbage to be tender. Drain and leave to cool fully.
- In the meantime, grate the carrot, radishes, garlic and ginger into a large bowl. Add the cabbage when cooled. Pour in the fish and chilli sauce as well as the rice vinegar.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar and thoroughly stir all the ingredients together. Press into a sterilised Kilner jar and leave at room temperature for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight to ferment. When fermented, place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a Signature Cast Iron Grillit empty over a medium heat for five minutes to get it hot. Take your sliced bread and butter each slice on one side. In a plate, turn the slice butter side down and fill two slices with cheese. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top, butter side up – the buttered side of the bread will be in contact with the grill.
- Place the sandwich on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Once golden and perfect grill lines appear on the bread, flip and repeat on the other side.
- Serve alongside a good helping of the kimchi.