We’ve all done it: stood in the security queue at the airport, with a sinking feeling in our stomachs. We’ve remembered that our Elizabeth Arden moisturiser exceeds 100ml, and will be therefore sentenced to the clear bins of shame – where perfumes, lotions and potions are removed from hand luggage and never seen again.
Whilst packing a capsule wardrobe is almost easy, streamlining your beauty essentials to fit in hand luggage is a different story. It’s a time where one must be brutal – do you honestly need a frosted silver eye-shadow and three red lipsticks? – and only pack the must-haves. Luckily, we’re on hand to help…
Hand Luggage Restrictions for Make Up
Airlines are extremely strict on liquid restrictions – however, by following the rules, you won’t get caught out. When it comes to cosmetics, airlines deem ‘liquids’ to mean everything from perfumes and lotions (obvious) to mascaras, lip glosses, hair gels and lipsticks – perhaps not as obvious.
When taking cosmetics on a plane, make sure:
- Your products contain no more than 100ml of liquid, and the container itself can only hold 100ml or less – larger bottles will be tossed, even if there’s not 100ml of product inside them.
- All your beauty essentials must be packed inside a clear, plastic bag – we just use freezer bags from the supermarket – which must measure 20cm x 20cm.
- Don’t go squeezing in extras – this bag needs to be sealed easily and comfortably. It needs to be sealed, not tied, knotted or folded, too.
- You can only have one plastic bag per person – so all cosmetics and toiletries must fit in here.
- Scissors, razors and tweezers are a no-go on a plane; leave these at home and buy them when you reach your destination.
- Psst – powder compacts don’t count as liquid, but remember your hand luggage weight restrictions!
Travel Sized Beauty
Sunscreen is, by far, the most important thing to carry in your hand luggage – the Korres Tinted Yoghurt Sunscreen comes in a 50ml size, with a cooling texture and protective formula. If you’re prone to burning easily, don’t forget some aftersun, too; we like the moisturising properties of Dr. Hauschka After Sun, available in a 100ml bottle.
Free up space in your plastic liquids bag by opting for powder foundation – the Amazing Cosmetics Velvet Mineral Pressed Foundation comes in various shades, from Fair to Tan. To keep the weight of your hand luggage down, pick products that contain multiple shades – the Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Colour Bronzing Powder Duo has both a bronzer and lighter highlighter, and the Daniel Sandler Eye Shadow Quad has four easy-to-blend essential shades.
Overwhelmed with the decision of which lipstick to take? Easy – one nude, one red, for daytime glamour and night-time luxe. Choose a lipstick with moisturising properties, as your lips can suffer in the sunshine; the Elizabeth Arden Colour Moisturising Lipstick keeps your pout smooth and supple, whilst providing show-stopping colour. Don’t forget a balm, too, to slather on by the pool – pick one which is suitable for lips, hands and body, like the Dr. PawPaw Original Balm.
For the gentlemen, Bull Dog Skincare offer a range of products all in sizes of 100ml and below – the Protective Moisturiser with SPF is a must in the harsh sunshine, with a Shave Cream, After Shave Balm and Face Scrub all available in 100ml bottles.