Party season is here again and while we’ve been thinking about our outfits for months, some thought must be given to your Christmas party hair look. With a wishlist full of black silky dresses and sleek tailoring, party hair can feel like a whole other battle with so much inspiration out there. You might not have the same team of experts that surround Alexa Chung, Lucy Boynton and co at every occasion, but you can get the look with a little time, care and the right hair care regime.
To bring you the best celebrity inspiration for your Christmas party hair and step-by-step guides on how to achieve the look, we’ve teamed up with Grow Gorgeous to help your hair feel and look amazing this festive season.
#1 How to get Alexa Chung’s sleek side sweep
A red carpet go-to, Alexa regularly swaps her signature messy waves for a sleek side part for formal occasions. As a slightly more androgynous look, this style is perfect for off-setting super feminine dresses or adding a bold finish to a softer outfit. For extra drama, go for a wet look effect by simply styling wet hair or doubling down on gel.
The key to this look is starting with silky smooth hair, so begin with hair care that is soothing and balancing. You want your Christmas party hair to look like one glorious curtain of shine, so split ends are the enemy. Before styling, treat your hair with a fibre sealing treatment to reduce the appearance of breakages and help strengthen the hair.
- Start by giving your hair a good brush so it is all smooth.
- Using a comb, part your hair to the side. As a guide, your parting should be in line with the highest point of your brow arch, giving you that dramatic old Hollywood side sweep. If your hair needs a little help settling into this new parting, gentle blast it with a hairdryer as the heat will help it settle in the new position.
- Using a curling wand, loosely curl your hair, focusing mainly on the section below your ears. This adds a little texture and movement to stop your hair looking flat.
- Once this is done, spray hairspray onto a brush and brush your hair from root to tip, brushing the curls out to a really gentle wave.
- Tightly tuck each side behind your ears and continue to brush through with hairspray until it is all smooth. To tame flyaways and baby hairs, the best tool is a toothbrush! Spray with plenty of hairspray and firmly brush their hair around your face down, keeping it pristine and tidy around your face and ears.
For a little extra sparkle add a decorative hair slide to match your accessories, like Keke Palmer.